We had an adventure last night. One we hope not to repeat too often. And, frankly, one we’re lucky and grateful to have not had previously.
Charlotte was congested, but sleeping soundly when I gave her medications and hooked up her night feed at 8:20 p.m. or so. Unfortunately, she woke up around 9 p.m. crying and screaming. She was inconsolable and after about 20 minutes or so had reflux/vomiting. Typically, Charlotte consoles easily after an episode like this and goes back to sleep fairly quickly. Last night, she was inconsolable for what seemed like hours. She had a low grade fever, too.
After what seemed like the longest 45 minutes ever (nearly 1.5 hours total of screaming–hers not ours) we called the pediatrician. She sent us to the ERA at 11 pooh to make sure there was no lung involvement. Charlotte was, of course, calm in the car.
The trace nurse was waiting for us. Charlotte started crying again the minute the nurse came close with a stethoscope. Again, she wouldn’t stop. She vomited again in the waiting room, though she had nothing left in her tummy. Once we were in an exam room, Charlotte was examined by a nurse, a resident and an attending physician. The doctors were Dr. Rosenbaum and Dr. Horowitz. It was Easter after all.
By 1 a.m., she was smiling through very tired eyes and struggling to stay awake.
Her lungs were clean according to x-ray. They gave her Motrin for her fever, told us to follow up with her pediatrician and sent us home. We all got to bed around 2 a.m.
Charlotte woke up around 5:30 a.m., ate a little bit, and went back to sleep until nearly 8:15 a.m.
She’s got a cold and the congestion is miserable, but was better for most of today. Of course, now it’s night and everyone’s cold is worse at night. Right now, she’s crying,whimperingg and breaking my heart. She’s been at it off and on for an hour, but unlike last night doesn’t sound likes she’s in pain. But, little Charlotte has been the self-consoling kind since she was 3 days old so this is very, very hard.
Motrin is taking forever to bring her fever (which spike a bit again just a bit ago) down.
We’ll follow up with her pediatrician tomorrow.
Just wanted to keep you up to date.